Monday, November 19, 2012

The Most Powerful Force

One of my all-time favorite ideas in in video games to think about philosophically is the portrayal of what I and many others believe to be the most powerful force in existence: the will of Man. In many sci-fi/action games, particularly the shooters I enjoy, humanity as a whole is forced to put aside its differences and band together against a common enemy, commonly an advanced alien race. In these scenarios, humans are often outnumbered, usualy outclassed, and almost always outgunned by their enemy. However, when faced with seemingly insurmountable odds, the will of Man comes through and with sheer determination and refusal to back down, humanity always rises the victor. I love thinking about this topic and I love finding real world examples. I have found one such example in the Curitiba chapter of Hope, Human and Wild that I mentioned in my last post.

In the book, the enemy isn't an advanced alien race, but lack of money, lack of time, and outside pressure. The city of Curitiba was under pressure to be like the rest of Brazil and be more "modern". Instead, the citizens banded together and with their sheer will, they overcame this and made a city they wanted to live in. This show of force of the will of Man is what gets me excited about the book, the video games I play, and the rest of the world I live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment