Monday, December 3, 2012

Carbon Footprints

As a project, I went to the EPA's website and calculated the carbon footprint for my family's household back home. I have a family of four (counting me) and we have 5 cars. I expected our carbon output to be very high. The average carbon output for a family in America is about 83,000 pounds of CO2 per year. However, my family only produces about 60,249 pounds of CO2 per year. This was a pleasant surprise.

After calculating my family's carbon footprint, I decided to check my grandmother's. She lives alone and doesn't use a lot of excess anything. The average carbon output for a person living alone is about 20,750 pounds of CO2 per year. I would have been surprised if she produced more than that. As I thought, she only produces about 18,061 pounds of CO2 every year. It was good to learn that my family doesn't contribute exceptionally to global warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment